Glass shower doors can be a showstopper in your bathroom—until you have to remove soap scum; this can turn your transparent shower into a cloudy cave.
We can put the spark back into your love affair with glass doors by showing you how to remove pesky soap scum and watermarks easily to prevent them from coming back.
Where You Find Soap Scum
Soap scum is a general term for the buildup you find on bathroom surfaces. Showers, tubs, and sinks can all accumulate this scum from soap, shedding skin cells, hair, hard water, and other contaminants. It can sit on the surface of any bathroom and gather around faucets, drains, in the grout, under bottles, and in corners.
Tips to Remove Soap Scum
If you’ve invested in a glass shower, you want to enjoy those clear panes. It’s best to create a habit of daily prevention that will keep your glass clean and clear, but you also need to know what to do when the buildup is thick.
- Fill a spray bottle with one part vinegar, one part water, and one tablespoon of dish detergent. Shake to combine (separation is normal).
- At the end of each shower, spray the mixture on the surfaces of your shower or tub. Let it sit for a few minutes, then use a cup or nozzle sprayer to rinse from the walls.
- Squeegee the surfaces of your tub or shower to remove water buildup and prevent scum and stains from staying. (This is a good rule of thumb, even if you don’t use the spray consistently.)
- Consider investing in a water softener or spraying a water repellent designed for car windshields on the glass surfaces of your shower to prevent buildup and stains.
- Mix 1 cup of baking soda with ¼ cup of vinegar in a bowl. It will begin to foam, so stir into a thick paste until the fizzing stops.
- Use a sponge or microfiber cloth dipped in the paste to wipe the surface of the shower, scrubbing tough areas.
- You can also apply the paste to areas of thick soap scum and let it penetrate for a longer period.
- For immovable stains, pour half a cup of table salt into a bowl. After dipping your cloth into a vinegar and baking soda mixture, dip it again into the salt and then scrub the stains. The salt provides extra abrasion that can cut through grime.
Murray Glass Can Create the Perfect Shower
We know how much a pristine glass shower can transform a bathroom, and it’s essential to remove soap scum to keep it looking luxurious. Upgrade your bathroom with a full Euro glass shower, frosted glass shower doors, or any other custom glass project, without the fear of soap scum or hard water stains ruining the allure. Murray Glass can create the dream bathroom you deserve, so start working with us today. We service Salt Lake, Weber, Utah, Tooele, and Summit counties.