How To Deal with Mold Growth on Window Sills

Finding mold on your window sills in not uncommon, but it can be avoided. Because windows are often exposed to moisture and condensation, mold growth can happen. But this doesn’t have to ruin your windows.

There are a few simple ways to prevent mold growth and take care of it if it does happen. It starts with choosing the right windows, at Murray Glass, we can help with that!

Preventing Mold Growth

Mold is born from moisture. Leaky windows and condensation build up can easily lead to window sill mold growth. Having high-quality windows that seal tightly and don’t allow for water penetration, will help to prevent mold growth. You can also prevent mold growth by reducing condensation on your windows. This is best done by maintaining good airflow and a temperature not too drastically different from the outside temperature.

Regularly cleaning out your windows and their frames will also help you avoid mold growth. Particularly if you have basement windows. Clean and dust these places regularly as they are more likely to accumulated dusk and collect dirt. They are also more exposed to moisture as basements tend to be damp. The same goes for bathroom windows. Because they are exposed to moisture more often, they will be more vulnerable to mold growth. Keep them clean to avoid having to clean away the mold.

Signs of Mold Growth

Mold growth will usually start growing at the bottom of a window frame. Usually, mold is colored and can be noticeable, but mold can also be the color of the window frame and easily blend in. Check your window between the joint of glass and frame regularly for discoloration and potential mold growth. Mold does not feed on the windows themselves, it can destroy certain kinds of frames.

Not only does mold look unsavory, but it can potentially be harmful to your health. Mold releases spores into the air, that when inhaled can cause allergy-like symptoms in people. Having mold in the air your breathing is best to avoid. Certain kinds of mold will be more toxic than others, but all of them should be avoided.

Getting Rid of Mold

When dealing with mold, use a mask to avoid ingesting spores. Mold release spores into the air that can cause allergies. Be sure that there is proper ventilation in the room. You should also protect the area surrounding the mold. Cover the floor and walls nearby.

To get rid of the mold, make a mixture of one part bleach and three parts warm water. Spray or pour the mixture on the area that has been infested. Let it sit for about ten minutes. Scrub away the mold with a non-abrasive brush. Use a clean rag to wipe away the mold. Rinse the area with warm water. Spray the area with disinfected spray and wipe away any residue. Allow the windowsill to dry completely before closing. Moisture will only provide for more mold growth.