Glass has a bad reputation for being tough to keep clean, but these glass table maintenance tips will keep your table sparkling without even breaking a sweat.
Glass tables offer a stunning addition to any home, but streaks, dust, and fingerprints can feel like a never-ending nightmare–especially if you have kids. Luckily, it’s remarkably easy to maintain your glass surfaces and bring them back to life.
Today, we’re sharing everything you need to know about glass tables and how to keep them shiny despite the odds.
If you’re accident-prone or have children or pets in your home, you probably tend to steer clear of glass furniture. If you’ve hesitated to incorporate more glass into your design aesthetic, we’re here to put your worries to rest. Glass is incredibly durable, versatile, and easy to maintain. The following benefits set glass tables apart from the rest:
- Glass is tough – Your table should be resilient enough to withstand heat, scratches, spills, and other daily wear and tear. For this reason, most people choose wood or plastic without realizing the unique strength of glass. Glass tabletops are made from tempered glass, which helps them resist scratches, avoid heat damage, and won’t easily shatter.
- Glass lights up the room – Glass is full of stunning features, and transparency is one of its most attractive qualities. Transparency gives the glass table a unique ability to brighten up any room. It instantly adds a lighter and airier feel as it reflects the light around the space.
- Glass is low-maintenance – Your life is busy enough without having to worry about maintaining your table. You’ll be thrilled to learn that glass is straightforward to clean and maintain. All you need is some hot water, liquid dish detergent, and a gentle cloth for an effortless shine. This is especially great news if someone in your household is prone to spilling drinks or dropping food whenever you’re having dinner.
How To Clean Your Glass Tabletop
The following methods are our go-to options for cleaning a glass table with ease:
1.Baking soda and vinegar
- Completely clear off the table surface.
- Mix equal parts of water and vinegar into a small container to create your cleaning mixture.
- Stir ½ cup of baking soda and three tablespoons of water into a paste.
- Spread the baking soda mixture onto the table with a sponge or washcloth. Let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Dip your sponge or washcloth into the vinegar mixture and rinse off the table.
- Use a dry, microfiber cloth to wipe down the surface.
2.Glass cleaner or vinegar spray
- Completely clear off the table surface.
- Use a wet washcloth to scrub away any sticky residue.
- Spray the entire surface with vinegar or a glass cleaner of your choice.
- Wipe the glass clean in long, circular strokes with a microfiber cloth.
What NOT To Do
There are dozens of effective glass-cleaning products out there, so sometimes it can be difficult to know which one is the right fit for your prized glass table. Most solutions are fine to use, but here are some items to avoid:
- Don’t use any ammonia or alcohol-based products
- Don’t clean your glass table in direct sunlight– this will cause stubborn streaking
- Don’t use blades or abrasives to remove stuck-on debris
How To Prevent Shattering and Scratching
Prevention is one of the critical components of proper glass table maintenance. If you want your table looking new for years to come, a little damage prevention is key. Here are our top suggestions to help prevent scratching or shattering:
- When choosing your table, opt for one constructed out of safety or tempered glass. Also, check for thick glass with a beveled edge.
- Position your table out of high-traffic areas.
- For outdoor use, keep your glass table out of direct sunlight. Direct sunlight exposure can cause tempered glass to explode. It’s best to place your table in a shaded area where the sun can’t destroy the glass or cause the framework to fade.
- Place rubber pads on the feet for easy, shatter-free transport. This will also prevent tipping over and lessen the sudden vibrations that occur from stamping feet or slammed doors.
- Put down a tablecloth to prevent scratching.
- Have coasters on hand for you and your guests to place under any cups and glasses. Avoid placing hot items directly on the table surface, too.
- For outdoor glass tables, be sure to store them away during adverse weather conditions. If you have a basement, shed, or garage, make room for your table during the months with the worst weather patterns. Snow, heavy rain, windstorms, and hail are all elements that can wreak havoc on your beloved tabletop.
What If My Table Sustains Scratches?
Abrasions can hinder the aesthetic of your table, but fortunately, glass table scratches are not permanent. Here are a few methods to polish it:
- Paste wax – Paste wax is quite effective at filling in minor scratches on glass.
- Metal polish – Metal polish is another easy and effective way to reduce superficial scratches.
- Toothpaste – For a quick and handy way to remove scratches, try toothpaste! Gently rub a small amount of toothpaste over the scratches until you’re pleased with the results.
- Jeweler’s rouge – Jeweler’s rouge is a compound developed by the jewelry trade to buff and shine precious metals such as gold and silver. This product can have the same effect on glass.
Choose Murray Glass for Custom Glass Tables
Now that you understand the ins and outs of glass table maintenance let Murray Glass bring the table of your dreams to life. We offer beautiful custom glasswork that will suit your needs and create stunning focal points in your home. A qualified glass technician will work with virtually any budget to create just what you’ve been imagining.Contact us today to schedule a free consultation for all of your custom glass needs. We serve the Salt Lake City, Utah, area, including Layton, Sandy, Midvale, West Jordan, Draper, and the surrounding cities.