Floating glass shelves are a popular choice for home decor due to their modern, sleek appearance and durability. They can be installed in various rooms, including bathrooms, living rooms, and kitchens, and are available in different sizes, thicknesses, and shapes.
Today’s blog discusses how floating glass shelves are designed, how durable they are, how safe they are, how much maintenance is involved, and how much they cost. This information will help you decide whether floating glass shelves suit your home or business.
Are Floating Glass Shelves a Good Idea? 5 Things To Consider
- How are the floating glass shelves designed? Floating glass shelves are designed to give the illusion that the shelves are floating in mid-air without any visible means of support. This is achieved by using brackets hidden behind the shelf, giving the impression that the glass is attached directly to the wall. This is done by measuring the space where you will install the shelves and determining the size and shape of the shelves. Tempered glass is usually the best option for floating glass shelves due to its durability and safety features. The glass must be cut to the desired size and shape. Next, the brackets are attached to the wall with screws, and the shelf is slid onto the brackets. It’s important to note that the design of floating glass shelves can vary depending on the manufacturer and the specific needs of the installation. Some shelves may require more complex brackets or additional supports if they carry significant weight. It’s essential to consult with a professional before installing your floating glass shelves to ensure that they are designed and installed correctly to ensure their durability and safety.
- How durable are floating glass shelves; how much weight can a floating shelf hold? Floating glass shelves are a durable choice for home decor due to the strength and safety features of tempered glass. Tempered glass is made by heating regular glass to a high temperature and then cooling it rapidly, creating a stronger, more durable material. Here are some factors that contribute to the durability of floating glass shelves:
- Strength: Tempered glass is several times stronger than regular glass, making it more resistant to breakage from impact, pressure, or temperature changes. This makes it an excellent choice for heavy items like books or decorative objects.
- Safety: Tempered glass is designed to break into tiny, rounded pieces rather than large, jagged shards when it does break. This makes it a safer option for home decor, particularly in areas where children or pets are present.
- Installation: Properly installing floating glass shelves is crucial to their durability. It’s important to use brackets specifically designed to support floating shelves and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure that the brackets and glass are installed correctly.
- Maintenance: Regular cleaning and maintenance can help prolong the life of floating glass shelves. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage the glass, and be sure to check the brackets periodically to ensure that they are still securely in place.
While floating glass shelves are durable, it’s important to note that they do have weight limits. It’s essential to choose the appropriate size and thickness of glass and to ensure that the brackets used can support the weight of the shelf and any items placed on it.
- How safe are floating glass shelves? Floating glass shelves can be a secure, durable storage solution, but it’s important to carefully install and clean them and ensure they meet safety regulations. You can safely clean floating glass with a glass cleaner; avoid abrasive cleaner or anything that could scratch the glass.
Tempered glass is often used to ensure that, if the floating glass does break, it will break into small, rounded pieces instead of large, sharp, jagged pieces. This reduces the risk of injury from broken glass.
Properly installing your shelves is another important factor. The anchors should be evenly spaced and securely tightened under the glass shelf for maximum strength. This ensures the shelves are safely and securely attached to the wall and can hold the weight of the items stored on them.
In short, if your glass shelves are safely and correctly installed, made of tempered glass, and carefully cleaned, you should be perfectly safe.
- How much maintenance is required? Floating glass shelves are known for their durability and low maintenance. However, to keep them in top condition, some maintenance is required.
- Regular cleaning: It is important to regularly clean glass shelves to keep them looking their best. Wipe them down with a soft, lint-free cloth and a gentle glass cleaner to remove dust, fingerprints, and other debris. Avoid using abrasive cleaners, as they can scratch the glass.
- Avoid placing heavy items on the shelves: Glass shelves are designed to be strong and durable but have weight limits. Avoid placing heavy or bulky items on the floating glass, which can cause them to crack or break. Always check the weight capacity of the shelves before putting anything on them.
- Check for cracks or chips: Regularly inspect your glass shelves for cracks or chips. If you notice any damage, stop using the shelf immediately and have it repaired or replaced.
- Proper installation: Proper installation is important for the safety and longevity of glass shelves. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when installing the shelves, and ensure they are securely attached to the wall or other supports.
- Use coasters and mats: To protect the surface of your glass shelves, use coasters and mats under items that could scratch or damage the glass. This includes items with rough or sharp bottoms, such as pottery or metal.
Overall, glass shelves require minimal maintenance to keep them looking their best. By following these tips, you can ensure that your glass shelves remain strong, durable, and beautiful for years to come.
- How much do floating glass shelves cost? Several factors determine how much glass shelves cost – size, thickness, type of glass, and the complexity of the installation.
- Size: Larger shelves will generally cost more than smaller ones, as they require more materials and are more challenging to install.
- Thickness: Thicker glass is stronger and more durable but also more expensive.
- Installation: Installing glass shelves on a flat wall is relatively simple and affordable, while more complex installations will be more expensive.
It’s important to shop around and get quotes from several glass companies to find the best price for your needs. Some suppliers may offer discounts for larger orders or if you purchase multiple shelves at once. Remember that the installation will be an additional expense, so be sure to factor that into your budget.
Get Your Glass Shelves From Murray Glass
Ready to take your home decor to the next level with beautiful, durable floating glass shelves? Look no further than Murray Glass! Our team of experts can create custom glass shelves to fit any size or style, using only the highest quality tempered glass and sturdy brackets for maximum safety and durability.
Don’t settle for generic, mass-produced shelves that may not fit your space or style perfectly. Choose Murray Glass for custom floating glass shelves that will elevate your home decor and provide a safe and sturdy storage solution for years to come. Contact us today (801.262.3364) to learn more and get started on your custom glass shelf project!