A glass tabletop is usually a side character in a room, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be styled to stand out and bring personality into the space.
If abundant space isn’t on your side, a coffee table is a perfect piece that won’t overcrowd your home. The see-through glass creates an illusion of space and helps light naturally bounce around the room.
A well-designed tabletop could easily become the center of attention in your office, living room, or any other space. Stay tuned as we explore seven different ways to showcase your stunning glass table.
1. Focus on Function
As you style any area of your home, you must consider the functionality of the furniture piece. What is the room primarily used for? What are your plans for the coffee table? Is it strictly a decorative piece or will it serve as an eating table, a magazine holder, or a footrest while watching the tv? Considering your table’s primary functions will help you style it accordingly.
For example, if you know feet will inevitably end up propped atop the glass, consider adding a tablecloth or other barrier. If you know drinks or snacks will be served here, add a decorative tray for coasters and placemats to keep stains at bay.
2. Craft a Centerpiece
While a glass table can certainly serve as a utility object, it is also a focal point in the room. As such, your table should exist as a decorative piece, too. One simple way to highlight your table is through a centerpiece. Consider adding a vase of faux or real flowers, potted succulents, a family picture, or a decorative tray in a color scheme that matches the room. This attention-grabber is a simple way to emphasize the natural elegance of your glass table.
3. Add Sentimental Pieces
A coffee table offers the perfect setting for personal items in your home. A stack of your favorite books or magazines, a sentimental bouquet of flowers, your favorite teapot, or a collage of family pictures belongs on a glass tabletop.
4. Make Seasonal Swaps
Decorating a table can be fun, especially when you add seasonal décor. Since a living room is usually a prime hang-out spot in your home, this is the perfect location to showcase some holiday spirit. Your coffee table serves as a great place to swap out seasonal decorative elements. Add a strand of garland at Christmastime, fresh tulips for Easter, or a pumpkin gourd in the fall. These seasonal switches will keep your table interesting all year long.
5. Embrace Balance and Symmetry
As you style your glass tabletop, use symmetry to help balance the decorative elements. Nothing makes for a cluttered space faster than tons of knick-knacks sprawled everywhere. Instead, opt for a centerpiece and style a few smaller items around it. Use a tall vase or candle holder to anchor the vision together. Vary the height and scale of items and group like objects together to keep your table balanced.
6. Play With Color
Your coffee table offers the perfect stage for a pop of color. Whether you’re looking to brighten up a neutral space or add more color to an already vibrant room, your table décor can deliver that statement. Adding a bouquet of colorful flowers is one simple way to breathe life into your tablespace. You might also want to add a colorful candle, a patterned ceramic jar, or a clear bowl filled with bright candies. These pops of color can tie your room together and breathe life into the space.
7. Use a Tray
A decorative tray is a practical, yet attractive, piece to incorporate into your table design. Trays can hold coasters, remotes, magazines, candles, or other small objects to keep them organized. You can choose from an array of shapes and sizes to best suit the room. A tray also helps build structure and symmetry into the design. Trays anchor down small pieces that otherwise might feel messy.
Glass Table Maintenance
Now that you’re ready to style your glass tabletop, here are some tips and tricks to keep it looking brand new for years to come:
- Regularly clean your tabletop using one of the following methods – baking soda and vinegar, glass cleaner, or vinegar spray.
- When choosing your table, opt for one constructed out of safety or tempered glass. Also, check for thick glass with a beveled edge.
- Have coasters on hand for you and your guests to place under any cups and glasses. Avoid placing hot items directly on the table surface, too.
If your table suffers a scratch, here are a few methods for remedying this:
- Past wax – Paste wax has been used for centuries to smooth out wood furniture, but it can be just as effective on glass. Apply a thin layer, let it dry, and then buff it with a clean cloth. If the scratches are shallow enough, the wax will fill the divots and help light reflect off the surface creating a smooth look.
- Metal polish – Another effective way to reduce superficial scratches is to use metal polish. First, clean the surface with glass cleaner and gently rub in the metal polish using a soft cloth. It might take more than one attempt to get the desired result.
- Toothpaste – Toothpaste is an excellent buffing agent that you already have on hand. After cleaning the table surface with a glass cleaner, dab a small amount of toothpaste on the scratch. Apply gentle circular movements until you’re pleased with the results.
Choose Murray Glass for Custom Glass Tables
If you’re ready to add a stunning glass tabletop to your home, the experts at Murray Glass are here to help! We offer beautiful custom glasswork that will suit your needs and bring your dreams to life. A qualified glass technician will work with virtually any budget to create just what you’ve been imagining.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation for all your custom glass needs. We serve the Salt Lake City, Utah, area including Draper, Sandy, Midvale, West Jordan, Murray, and the surrounding cities.